Great-grandmother, 75, stabbed inside NYC elevator was left with punctured lung in unprovoked attack: cops 

The parolee accused of repeatedly stabbing a 75-year-old great-grandmother inside a Bronx elevator struck without warning and left his victim with a punctured lung, cops and prosecutors revealed – as the assailant was ordered held without bail in connection to the vicious attack. 

Edwin Rios, 38 – who now faces an attempted murder charge – allegedly followed Zenona Ramos into her building on Morris Avenue near East Burnside Avenue and unleashed a brutal unprovoked attack around 11:30 a.m. Easter Sunday, cops said. 

He “repeatedly struck” Ramos all over her face, head and body with a sharp object, leaving her with multiple bleeding cuts as well as a punctured lung, according to a criminal complaint. 

A 75-year-old woman was stabbed multiple times in the elevator inside of 2066 Morris Ave., Bronx.
Edwin Rios, 38, left Zenona Ramos, 75, with a punctured lung in the ruthless unprovoked attack, according to a criminal complaint. Matthew McDermott

“As I got in, without saying a word, he started punching and stabbing me,” Ramos told WABC. “I was trapped in the elevator, I have diabetes, was operated on, he opened up all my wounds, he cut me.”

Ramos told the network she pleaded with the callous stabber to let her live, because she has a family.

“After he finished beating her up, he stated, ‘Take care’ and left,” the victim’s daughter, Mirian Ramos Garcia, told WABC. “The devil, that’s the only way I can describe him…a devil.”

The elder Ramos was covered in blood when she banged on neighbors’ doors for help, before one finally called 911, the network reported.

A 75-year-old woman was stabbed multiple times in the elevator inside of 2066 Morris Ave., Bronx.
Rios, who was charged with attempted murder, was ordered held without bail. Matthew McDermott

The elderly woman was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital, where she was listed in stable condition — but needed 40 stitches in one hand, according to the network. 

Rios, meanwhile, also faces multiple assault charges, as well as criminal possession of a weapon and harassment, authorities said. 

He is set to reappear in court on Friday.

Rios was on parole from a similar crime that took place in October 2012, where he followed a 22-year-old woman off a Queens bus and stabbed her in the back two times – in addition to a 2013 arson, according to sources and State Corrections records.

His parole was set to expire on June 30, 2024, records show.